Wednesday, July 28, 2010

work in the way

Do you ever get the feeling that work gets in the way of what you really want to be doing? I think I multitask all the time, simply because everything I do is not everything I want to be doing.

I know that sounds kind of odd. But when I am home, I can sit and chat with my little ones (granted, marmallow doesn't say much back yet) while they play and I can knit at the same time. I can talk with them about their day while driving home. I can monitor lil' b's impressive advancements in bicycling while spinning. But at work, there isn't a whole lot of double time. Sure, I can answer emails and talk on the phone at the same time, but I'm a writer, so most of my time is spent with singular focus (or else, as is common for my writing brethren, I completely scatter my thoughts and wind up completely lost for words). I tried to watch the World Cup on one screen while typing with the other and wound up sacking the whole project until the match ended.

Seeing as I spend a lot of time at work, these come in awful handy.

But the shining glory of my workday (topped only by getting home at the end of it), is lunch. I have given up on eating during my lunch break, and instead I find a nice bench between towers and spin. And you know, I'm getting pretty good at it. The outdoor sunlight actually gives the most accurate view of the colors, too.

Look how thin the yarn is getting! It's still kind of inconsistent, but not bad for about a week of spinning, right?
How do I figure out yardage on this, anyway? I mean, I keep spinning and spinning and the little ball of roving doesn't seem to be getting smaller, which is great, but I have no idea how many yards I have. Is it enough to make socks? I don't know. But it sure is pretty!

1 comment:

Monked & Fifed said...

Wow, this yarn is really impressive! I can't wait to see what you end up making with it!

I hear you on work cramping your style! I can easily pop back and forth from the littles to computer for emailing/blog what-have-you; but the same is not so easily done for prep reading for a lecture. I'm still trying to work out the specifics on how I'm going to fit that in...? Ah, we always manage, right!