Tuesday, July 13, 2010

simple things

This weekend we made chocolate chip zucchini bread, one of the few family recipes we have that isn't traced back to Betty Crocker. It was my grandmother's recipe, then my mother's and now mine. Each generation has added her own flavor to the mix. My mother, lover of all things sweet, added the chocolate chips, which my version has in mini size (I like the experience of a little chocolate without the actual chunks). I added real vanilla extract, a reflection of all things Mexican that I love so much. We couldn't resist baking a few mini loaves when we saw the beautiful, abundant (cheap) zucchini at the farmer's market. Three mini loaves for school, three for home.

We also went geocaching, and had a lovely time. We found three of the four caches we set out to find. With my sister visiting, we laughed often, stayed up late, and shared much.

I also finished the filagro scarf for my mother-in-law.

It's very basic, as you can see, with just a smidge of ruffle at the ends. It's from a pattern in One Skein Wonders. It's about four feet long, which I hope is long enough for her to wrap up as she pleases. Not much is more frustrating than a scarf that is too short for the wearer's tastes.

I also joined Freecycle yesterday. With the house up for sale, we've begun the invigorating process of sorting through the flotsam of our lives. We've already taken two van-loads to Salvation Army and another one to storage. I'm hoping to find someone willing to part with hand carders and lots more people interested in taking some of the extras from our hands.

5 comments:

Monked & Fifed said...

That zucchini bread looks heavenly! After having boatloads of zucchini from our CSA, I thought I would never eat another zucchini bread...but yours is making me think I might have to make some after all!

hook and needle said...

So, so good! :) We drop them off for neighbors and whatnot, too.

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Chocolate zucchini bread ..I have never had any before but that sounds yummy

Erin said...

Mmmm ... Our zucchini isn't quite ready in the garden, yet. But when it is, I can't wait to make chocolate chip zucchini bread! It's always been a favorite of ours. Now you've got me itchin' to make & taste this bread :)

Michelle said...

Would you mind sharing the recipe for chocolate chip zucchini bread? I need to make some soon, and that sounds delish!